Monday, January 14, 2013

1st Hour - Week of 1-14-13

Last week, lots of you were asking if you could write about words you didn't know, and I told you we would talk about those kinds of words soon. So, that's what we're doing this week! I hope you're all ready to talk about words you just flat out don't know!

Today we read the short story "Mr. Entwhistle" by Jean Little. In it, we read about a misunderstanding between a substitute teacher and a student named Kate. Mr. Enwhistle is the kind of sub that wants to show everyone right off the bat that he is in charge and won't put up with any funny business. Kate is in trouble for not answering Mr. Entwhistle when he asks what her name is, and Kate is very confused because she didn't even know that Mr. Entwhistle was talking to her. Mr. Entwhistle's anger escalates to the point of him frantically shrieking at her and threatening to send her to the office, when he suddenly realizes that he has made a mistake in being angry with Kate.

The paragraph where he finally realizes his error goes like this: "Then it was as though someone said, 'Will the real Mr. Entwhistle please stand up?' The bombast went out of him. For one more moment, he hesitated." The word "bombast" was somewhat unfamiliar to me. I felt like I had seen it before, and I thought maybe it meant "fight". I thought about the way Mr. Entwhistle suddenly changed - how he went from being very angry and flustered to being calmer and realizing he was wrong. "Fight" made sense to me - like all the fight went out of him. Still, I wasn't sure that was right, so I looked it up in the dictionary and found that it meant "pretentious speech or talk", which means he was speaking in a manner that made it seem like everything he said was very important. So, basically, Mr. Entwhistle thought he was very important and was talking in a way that reflected that, and then he changed his mind when he realized how that attitude had steered him wrong.

I was way off! I'm glad I looked up that word! This week, as you're trying to figure out words you don't know, stop and use information from the story to help you figure out the word. Get the best definition you can from what you know. If you still don't feel good about it, look it up in the dictionary. Good luck this week! Let me know if you have any questions!

12 comments:

  1. book: blackout girl
    by jennifer storm
    In the the story there was a word that i didnt understand and it as detoxification. i thought that it meant something to do with toxic things.. and when i asked my mom what it meant she said that it was something to do with takin drugs or alchol out of cyour body.but then she told me to look it up,so i went to google and it told me that The process of removing toxic substances or qualities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good job sheyenne you had alot of detail

      Delete
    2. thanks i really had to ask my mom for help

      Delete
  2. Book:Payback Time
    by carl deuker
    In the story there was a word that
    i didnt understand and the word is faded I thought it was something like cool or something but when I looked it up in the dictionary it said loose color or feeling.Another word that I found was kinda like the first word but spelled different and it was fated so I tried finding some words to help me figure out what it meant but I didnt find anything so I looked up in the dictionary and it said a power supposed to determine in advance the way things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book Deadly
    Author Julie Chibbaro
    On page 26 I raed the word schoonerIn the paragraph they fimed his schooner witch was named after Prasident Roosevelt; Mr. Peary plans to uas the same ship for what he hope will be a sucssesful return to the North Pole next year. This word confused me because I have nevfer seen it befor and I wanted to know what it was if it came up anouthor time To figure out what it ment I first used my contecs clues then I looked it up in the dictionary. Anouthoe word that I found on age 26 was gales in the paragraph says I burst into gales of laughter, and she joined me. I feel the gap now, like a place that should be. this word confused me because I have never seen this word befor and I wanted to to know what it was if it comes up anouther time. To figure out what it ment I used my conteces clues and looking it up in the dictionary

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Moon
    Stephenie Meyer
    On page 10 I read the word preferable in this paragraph preferable not as a wrinkled little old lady. I means when Bella becomes one of the Cullen's she will not age. On page 11 i read the word smugly in this paragraph it said, Alice told me smugly Alice is saying it in a satisfied voice showing great satifaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets
    J.K. Rowling
    on page 227 i read the word briskly in the sentence "don't be silly Ron, I'Ve got to keep up" said Hermione briskly. this word confused me because I have never heard this word before. To figure out this word i looked it up on google and found out it ment sharp or abrupt.
    Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets
    J.K. Rowling
    on page 230 the word or phrase I read was "come off it" in the sentence "Are you crazy?" said Ron "iy could be dangerious." "Dangerous?" said Harry laughing. "come off it, how could it be Dangerous?" this word confused me because it is not a comion phrase in america. to figure out the word i looked at my context clues and came to a concluion it ment back off or rediculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book: The Necromancer (the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel)
    Author: Michael Scott
    In my book now Sophie, Josh, Perenelle and Nicholas are stopping monsters from attacking San Francisco. Dr.Dee is trying to get to America without getting caught by the Dark Elders who want to kill him. Scatty and Joan have been sent back in time and are barely surviving. this is because all the wild live is poisonous or wants to eat them.
    Two words in my book that I've never seen before are frugal and foibles. Frugal was on page 66 and in this sentence "'I prefer the term frugal' Dee said calmly". To figure out what it means I use clues from the text and in the rest of the paragraph it talked about how cheap Dee was. The word foibles was on page 140 in this sentence "he is still human, with all the faults and foibles of a human". I figured it out by looking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Book: Change-Up
    Author - John Feinstein

    On page 202 I read the word flirtatious. The sentence read, "Her tone had changed from flirtatious to angry in the blink of an eye". This word confused me because I usually hear the word flirting, and why would they be flirting if Stevie had a girlfriend? To figure out what it meant I went to the dictionary and found out that it meant talking in a careless way.This made sense because Morra kind of liked Stevie.

    On page 207 I read the word Gatsby. The sentence read, "He still hadn't finished the Great Gatsby". This word confused me because I had never heard it before. The only thing that I had heard close to this is gas. To figure out this word I went to the dictionary, but it wasn't there. I then went to my teacher. She said that it is a novel written about a person whose last name was Gatsby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. book:The earl and the fairy
    by:Ayuko
    my book is about a fairy docter and a crimanle that looks for a fariy docter but you cant see fairy docters but the fariy docters dress up like human being though but thire is this crimanl that cilled one millon people and know the crimanl took the fairy docter thats all i know .

    ReplyDelete
  9. New Moon
    Stephenie Meyer
    On page 60 i read the word compulsion in this sentence is said the feeling was growing stronger it was almost compulsion. It means the urge to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Book: Elsewhere
    Author: Gabrielle Zevin

    On page 207, I read the word "clause", and the only time I've heard that word is in "Santa Clause", and it turns out the word means "bill or contract; separate article"

    ReplyDelete